Thursday, November 04, 2004

Start Spreading the News...

...I'm an auntie. I couldn't believe it myself. Since the family just found out a little over a month ago that my brother (henceforth referred to as Brothaman) and this girl (more on this later) were expecting, we haven't had much time to get used to the idea. Regardless, yesterday afternoon I became the auntie to a baby girl (henceforth referred to as Niece) that weighed in at 7 lbs 15 oz and 21 inches. I seriously doubt that she will call me Auntie or Aunt Ayaba or anything like that. I don't call my aunts or uncles Aunt so-n-so or Uncle this-n-that. I call them by their first names. My girls call them tee-tee and uncle but that's mostly because they are their great aunts and uncles. They do call my brother Uncle Brothaman but that's because he wants to be called that. He loves his nieces and grins like the joker whenever they are around. OK - I have seriously digressed. I say all that to say I will meet Niece tonight when we visit them in the hospital.

I call Brothaman's baby's mother some girl because she is. We don't know her. We've never met her. Brothaman has never mentioned her. I mean I know he has dated and kicked it with several women in the past, but usually if there was some seriousness at least we knew her name and met her a couple of times. This girl - nothing. We wouldn't have even know she was pregnant if she didn't come to my mother and tell her. Yes - she came to my mother's house and told her she was pregnant with Brothaman's baby. I'm surprised my mother didn't explode on the spot. She's a brave girl but she wanted us to be involved. At least one of them has sense because Brothaman is currently lacking. I thought my mom would kill him. She told me she would. I believe she said "I'm going to wring that n*ggas neck. I can't believe he would pull some sh*t like this." My mother doesn't drop the n-bomb lightly and she doesn't usually cuss us. So as a dutiful sister, I warned him to expect bodily harm when she saw him.

I think more than anything my mom was very disappointed. She didn't raise us to be slackers. She taught us to be responsible self-sufficient adults that take care of ourselves AND anyone we decide to bring into this world. She also told Brothaman that she didn't want any girls showing up on her doorstep telling her they were pregnant with his baby. Plus she asked him if anything was going on MONTHS ago and he said no. She even had me call him to see what was going on and he never called me back. She knew something wasn’t right and he acted like everything was OK. So he was just farked all around.

Needless to say, Brothaman decided to tell the family (we all knew the news but this is the big announcement) at a dinner for his birthday. We got to meet her then. I don't think she has any clue what she is getting herself into. We are a pretty crazy family. We love each other to death but we are crazy. You need to know these things before you start just having babies. Hell I had to call my mother just to get the girl’s last name. Like I said, we don’t know her. We don’t know her parents, what their family is like, family history – nothing. We are forever tied to a family that we don’t know – and they don’t know us. It’s very scary.

Ultimately, it’s about Niece. She doesn’t need to know the circumstances that led to her birth. She’s a baby. She will need to be spoiled properly and we are definitely up for that job. Brothaman’s baby’s mother (I need a proper nickname) wanted us involved and she’s going to get more than she bargained for. Brothaman thought it was fun being an Uncle but being Daddy is whole different kettle of fish. A much harder and more demanding kettle of fish.

Life should be interesting for the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment