Tuesday, October 09, 2007

VH1 Hip Hop Honors

Who watched the VH1 Hip Hop Honors last night? If you didn't see it then you missed something. I was busy being supermom (cooking dinner, combing hair, determining if it was indeed garbage night - it was) when I got home and forgot and missed the opening. I was pretty bummed about that since the show opened with the tribute to Missy Elliot. However for the most part the show was AWESOME! The honorees took me back to high school/college. I mean Missy Elliot, Snoop Dogg, WHODINI, New Jack Swing (Teddy Riley and Andre Harrell), A Tribe Called Quest and the movie Wild Style (Charlie Ahearn and Fab Five Freddy). What?!

Missy Elliot is a visionary. My daughter loves her. I love her. She always gets bumped on the car radio. Nuff Said!

Snoop Dogg came out when I was in high school. I thought he was so cute in Nuthin' but a G Thang with Dr. Dre. Had the curly hi-top fade, sparse facial hair, bedroom eyes. I.LOVED.Snoop. As in, I-could-have-ripped-off-his-clothes-and-humped-him love. Surprisingly, I was messing around with someone at the time that looked like Snoop. Unfortunately for him, he got no ass from me. Looking like doesn't equal. Funny how the memories come back and you remember where you where when...Oh and the performance was pretty good on the show too.

WHODINI not only has a classic look - they have classics. Friends, Freaks Come Out At Night, One Love...need I say more.

New Jack Swing honored Teddy Riley and Andre Harrell. Yes Teddy Riley who doesn't look like he has aged at all. The performance was poppin! Doug E. Fresh opened up and beatboxed his way into my core and made me jump off the couch with my fist in the air. That stroll down memory lane was much appreciated.

Finally - A Tribe Called Quest was honored. When Busta Rhymes burst out the back of the stage on Scenario I pretty much lost it. I had the chance to see them in concert when I was in college and didn't go. I had some other dumb shit to do - homework, study for an exam something. I have always regretted not going. Seeing them perform last night re-cemented that regret. Sigh!

Now of these, I'm least familiar with Wild Style. It's the 25th anniversary of the movie and that means I was only 8 when it came out. However in the spirit of all things really hip hop - not rap, hip hop - that will be next on the NetFlicks queue.

All in all, VH1 did a great job and Tracy Morgan as the host knows his hip hop. Thank God for Tivo so I can watch the good parts again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment