Friday, July 30, 2004

Caffeine-Free...

My back was hurting me for several weeks. I had a spasm and the pain never went away. So about two weeks ago I started getting nauseous and headachy and constipated and in general feeling worse. Last week I went to the doctor. He thought it might be kidney related and I had a back strain. Well the tests revealed no blood in the urine and he gave me some stretching exercises, but I had heard all I needed to hear.

When I was pregnant with Squirm I had a kidney stone. They don't give you medicine...correction...they don't give pregnant women any medicine for the pain and you have to pass it. It took me 4 days to do it.  It was extremely painful and it's not an experience I care to repeat. Therefore when I heard kidneys/kidney infection my brain translated that to "kidney stone alert". I immediately cut caffeine out of my diet. No more morning coffee and I'm only drinking decaffeinated tea. I upped my water intake tremendously. I was already drinking water everyday. Now I'm drinking A LOT of water everyday. Fast forward to this week. Something must be working because the back pain is gone, the nausea is gone, the headaches are gone, I'm regular, I'm peeing about 20 times a day and I didn't have to do ONE stretching exercise. I told this to my doctor who said if the water works keep doing it. I know it works because when I was dehydrated on Sunday I was a cranky, headachy, hard to be around person. MD flat out asked my why I was so crabby. When I told him I felt dehydrated, he bought me some water and I immediately felt better. As Shasta has been recently reminded, chivalry is not dead.

The moral of the story: Don't take so long to go to the doctor and water does a body good.

No comments:

Post a Comment