Friday, October 15, 2004

Death in the Family

One of my co-workers died yesterday. She was on my team and someone I consider a friend. I found out last night before I left work so I had some time to let it sink in. Most of the team found out this morning. While we are all working today it's eerily quiet. It feels very surreal and dreamlike. She was only 26. She went to the hospital complaining of chest pains and never left.

I'm happy that our last conversation was filled with laughter and jokes. It's how I would like need to end all my conversations with those people I care about. I have no regrets about our last conversation because of that. None of the "I wish I had saids". It's going to be hard around here. She was well-liked by all and an integral team member.

As the title of the post indicates, it's a death in the family. I know some of us hate to admit it but our co-workers are our family. We spend a good deal of our lives with them. It's just some of them are closer family members than distant cousins or the black sheep we would sooner disregard than acknowledge.

I acknowledge my co-worker as friend and family and am saddened by her loss. I find comfort that God needed her more and I will see her again but that doesn't mean I don't miss her right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment