Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Picture Day but No Pictures

Yesterday was supposed to be picture day at Munchkin's school. What does this mean, dear friends? It means that I got up at 6:00 to get ready, get Squirm ready (who woke up at 4:00 because she went to bed early) and get Munchkin up. Munchkin was excited because she knew that picture day meant she would get to wear her hair down.

Sidebar: Munchkin has hair - A LOT of hair. A LOT of thick hair.

Anyway, we get up and I get Munchkin in the bathroom as soon as possible to "do hair". Because Munchkin has a healthy head of it, I have to press her hair for her to wear it down. There is no way around this. She has a good grade of hair and it's healthy so there is no reason for me to put perm in it just to make my life easier. Although I'm sure she would love for it to happen so she could wear it down more often. It's not going to happen anytime soon. We'll just keep her hair braided like we've been doing.

Anyway, I digress. It took me 1 hour - yes 1 hour to press her hair. She has that much hair people. And I used the electric pressing comb. For all the black women like me who used to be little black girls this is a big deal. The electric pressing comb is a new development. We had to sit still in a hot kitchen with the hot from the fire pressing comb put in our hair. Many a chocolate "kiss" rested on our ears after that ordeal. Munchkin doesn't have to go through this. She doesn't know how lucky she is. She didn't get burned once - yay Mommy with the steady hand. I don't know how she didn't get burned since she moved around so much in the chair I about lost it. I threatened to send her to school with her hair half done. Her vanity got the best of her and she settled down. After pressing her hair I was going to curl it for her. She didn't want it curled. She wanted the ponytail in the front, down in the back and that's it. Well Thank God for small favors.

I bundled up the girls and get them out the door only to be met by a torrential downpour. WHAT THE FARK!!! Screw it. It was a WHAT THE FUCK! moment. Pressed hair and rain DO NOT go together. In fact they are natural enemies. The first thing a mother tells her daughter once the hair is pressed is don't get it wet. Don't run around because you will sweat. Don't get in the pool. Nothing that will cause the hair to revert to it's natural state after all that work. Luckily I had an umbrella - a large one but my mood was already dark. Munchkin didn't have her umbrella so now I have Munchkin, me and Squirm in her stroller all under one umbrella trying not to get wet. Praying that her hair doesn't get wet or even pull moisture from the air.

We got to the car OK, got in the car OK, got to school OK. Thank God again for small favors. Hair is intact and looks good. She is very pretty in her picture dress. Kisses all around, have a good day and don't give the fake smile.

I get home from work and ask MD how pictures went. His reply was they didn't. Excuse me? What do you mean they didn't? Apparently the picture man plugged in his equipment and blew a fuse. Half the school was without power. Once power was back up his equipment did not work. Picture day has been rescheduled to Thursday. But we get 10% off any package we pick. You have to be shitting me. 10% does not make up for what we went through that morning. But you know what, I will be doing it all again tomorrow so Munchkin can wear her hair down for pictures.

They need to put these little lessons in the mommy manual.

No comments:

Post a Comment