Saturday, March 08, 2003

Why are they putting GG in the garage?
I mentioned last week that my daughter's great-grandmother passed away. Well the services were on Tuesday. It was a long day. The wake started at 11:00 am, funeral at 12:00 pm, burial after the funeral at Lincoln Cemetary, and repast after the burial at the church. My ex and I had already explained to our daughter that GG Forney died. So she is aware that GG is gone and she won't be able to see her anymore. Still I think she was a little shocked to see Mommy and Daddy cry and her grandparents too. She wanted to know why everyone was sad so we explained it to her. When we went to the burial, GG Forney was laid to rest in a vault. My daughter watches this, turns to my mother (Gommie) and asks: "Gommie, why are they putting GG in the garage?" From the mouths of babes right. So what does my crazy mother say, "We put things we want to keep safe in the garage." I'm surrounded by mental instabilities (aka relatives). I'm just relieved that my daughter understands the concept of death. Although she has been telling people that her GG died. I'm not going to discourage her from doing this because I believe it's a part of her grief process. She hasn't cried but has admitted to being sad. All in all the day went well. We even beat the snow home!

No comments:

Post a Comment