Friday, January 16, 2004

It's a girl, Part 2...

To say it happened quickly is an understatement. Of course there is a story to this so let it begin.

As stated previously MIT was due on December 29, 2003. While estimating due dates isn't an exact science, once you have been given a date it's something you work towards. Something you don't want to go too far past. So when December 29 came and went without a whimper I was a little (OK a lot) disappointed to say the least. That's when the drastic measures started.

December 29, 2003 - I told MD that I wanted to walk. Munchkin has a hotel overnight with her cousin X-man and a friend from church. I was jealous. She got to lounge at the hotel, swim in the pool and eat at Red Lobster. Then I realized that this was my last opportunity to really relax by myself before the baby got here. MD was at work, Munchkin was gone, so I loafed. It was heavenly. No walking - no regular contractions - no baby. Phooey!

December 30, 2003 - I told MD again that I wanted to walk. He came home from work early because he didn't feel comfortable being at work knowing I could go into labor at any minute. While the man does irk me at times, this little moments more than make up for it. He came home and we went grocery shopping. Since I told him that I wanted to walk we did. We ran our household errands on foot. We went to Radio Shack, Walgreen's and Jewel's. Munchkin came home in the middle of grocery shopping. She spent the day at Jeeper's. I went to get her. Thanked my friend from church profusely and then we went back to Jewel to help MD finish shopping. Needless to say the walking made me sore but not much else. I felt more contractions but no baby. Phooey!

December 31, 2003 - We were bums. We didn't go anywhere or do anything. We all held our breath hoping that the walking would cause the baby to get here before 2003 ended so we could get the nice tax break. Actually I was just ready for some more regular contractions that might indicate the start of something bigger. No such luck. We celebrated the new year at home as a family watching television and toasting with orange juice. It was pretty nice actually. Again - no regular contractions - no baby - no tax break. Aw shucks!

January 1, 2004 - I woke up horny. Believe me, I was as shocked as you are. No one was more shocked than MD. We got to test the good sex theory. Believe it or not, it worked. Plus I think the idea of no sex for six weeks might have spurred on the libido. Last chance to get some for a while theory. Needless to say regular contractions were on the menu for the rest of the day. I knew MIT would be born on the first then, just not when.

I had to redo laundry because we had a humidifier incident a couple of days before, so I made it to the laundry room. I also packed a bag for Munchkin. I wasn't sure if she would stay with us or with our parents but she needed a bag either way. My bag wasn't packed yet but it was in my head. Anyway, I'm doing laundry and my contractions are about 7 - 8 minutes apart. By the time I finished laundry they were 5 minutes apart. MD had company over. By the time I finished putting the laundry away and getting Munchkin dressed, the contractions were 3 minutes apart. I told Munchkin to go tell Daddy it was time. Company got put out and the mad rush began. I called the doctor and packed my bag. I put on clothes and waited for MD. He didn't have a bag packed let alone a bag to put things in. He took forever! He had the nerve to iron his pants. IRON YOUR PANTS - who is going to see you or your pants. I'm having a baby here and I'M READY TO GO NOW!!! We finally got out the house 45 minutes after I called the doctor. Needless to say my contractions are now closer than 3 minutes apart.

To his credit MD made it to the hospital in 20 minutes. By that time the contractions were coming pretty much one after the other. We made it to LaGrange Memorial Hospital at 8:00 pm. The ER nurse took me straight to Labor and Delivery while MD and Munchkin parked the car and checked in. The urge to push came around 8:10 - 8:15 pm. MIT was born at 8:24 pm. Needless to say it was a quick delivery and she would have been here earlier except we didn't have a doctor yet. Never tell a laboring woman to breath through contractions. It's a bad idea. By 9:00 pm MIT was in my arms and nursing. Ahhh - heaven on earth!

Now for all those that want to know - yes it hurt. Labor is painful. Labor without drugs is even more painful. Anyone that tells you different is lying and probably trying to get you pregnant. I don't know what labor with drugs is like because I've never experienced it. Both Munckin and MIT were natural births. But the end result is worth it.

P.S. I have girls. This is great!!

No comments:

Post a Comment