Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Parenting 101

As of yesterday, Squirm (yes I've decided) is officially 2 months old. This necessitated the 2 month visit to the doctor. All of our visits up until this point have been pretty easy. This visit would introduce a new loop in the life of our growing baby - SHOTS! I don't care what anyone says. Immunizations are important for a child. There are many resources for parents who can and can't afford to immunize their children. No child should go un-immunized. With that said I will get off my soap box and continue the story.

Squirm got 3 shots yesterday. She got them in her thighs. One thing I will say for my nurse, she's good at what she does but she hates giving babies shots. Believe it or not that is a comfort for me. It means that she will do her job but she will try to do it as quickly as possible to cause the least amount of discomfort to the baby. Squirm did pretty good. As a parent who has been through child immunizations before I had the infant tylenol at the ready. I gave Squirm the doctor recommended dose before she got her shots. Word of warning - don't try to give a baby medicine after the fact. She will be much more cooperative before you have inflicted pain on her without warning.

Squirm took the medicine like a good little trooper and gave me a laugh. Little did she know that the laughter would be replaced by pain. Nurse gave Squirm the first shot in her right thigh. Squirm looked like "What was that?!" and cried for about 10 seconds and then stopped. Nurse gave Squirm the second shot in her right thigh too. Squirm looked like "Now wait a minute" and cried for about 20 seconds. Nurse gave Squirm the third shot in her left thigh. Squirm looked like "WTF?!?!?" screwed up her faced and cried until she turned purple. The mommy bounce didn't help. She was pissed off and in pain. I was able to placate her by nursing her.

She fell asleep - wouldn't you after all that crying - and Munchkin and I were able to grab some lunch and drive out to my job for a visit. Squirm was pretty cranky. Usually she lets people pass her around like a sack of potatoes but I had to stop and feed her 3 times while we were there. I will say that she did sleep through the night with minimal feeding and this morning work up and gave me a great big smile. Hopefully all is forgiven - until 2 months from now when we have to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment