Friday, December 05, 2003

In Loving Memory: Kallie Anne McNeal

My cat died. I don't know any other way to say it. I mean "MY CAT". Technically she belonged to my brother and myself but in my heart she was MY CAT. She was an old cat - 16 years 9 months (which roughly translates into 75.5 human years). I knew it was coming but that doesn't make it better. She died in her sleep but that doesn't make it better. Getting to say goodbye would make it better and I didn't get to do that. So now I sit here trying not to blubber like a baby because my cat died and I didn't get to say goodbye.

To say there is going to be a big void in my life is an understatement. I've had that cat over half my life. My mother surprised us with her when she was only 6 months old. We got to watch her grow and she got to watch us. She has been our protector, a source of entertainment, a source of comfort and a really good friend for as long as I could remember. It seems like she's always been there. We got her neutered before she ever had kittens so essentially she adopted my brother and I as her "kids". She would always show up when we needed her. Not that she was that affectionate - it wasn't in her personality - but she knew when she was needed and would comfort us for as long as necessary.

When I went away to college, I missed having my cat to curl up to when I went to sleep. It was one of the things I looked forward to when I came home on breaks. Obviously she did too because she would meet me at the door and follow me around - for all of five minutes - but that is the cat way. That cat literally enabled me to sleep during my first pregnancy. She purred Munchkin to sleep in the womb every night so I could fall asleep. Munchkin came out KNOWING who this cat was. Munchkin worked very hard to cultivate a friendship with a cat that no longer wanted to be bothered by children until finally the cat consented to be bothered by her. While I stayed with my parents these past few months, unbeknownst to me, my cat has been checking up on me while I slept. I knew there was a reason I kept waking up with cat hair on my face!

MD and I just got Munchkin a kitten for her 5th birthday. I can't help but compare my cat to this kitten. Very different personalities. It will be interesting to watch this life grow and mature.

My cat died today and I'm going to miss her very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment